Awesome Opossum

I got a little too into a doodle to reply to a text message and it turned into me drawing for an hour an some change.

Awesome Opossum

Still, not the worst thing I’ve spent an hour fifteen on.

Advertisements

After and Before Image Clean Up

1476291_936267516405903_1470237304528829514_n

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a mediocre photographer. To make up for that though, I am good at post production. (Which is good because I’d be out of work if I wasn’t) This example is a bit of an extreme case of how much things get cleaned up after the fact, but ultimately everything gets some treatment.

10898211_936267899739198_1415155154543151605_nYou can see this in action in the three post’s before this as well, both the photos and the gif/video were all just shot on an old iPhone 4, then cleaned up after the fact. Huzzah for pushing post!

The Graphic Moving Portfolio of Joseph Towey 2014

I’m not usually one for posting videos, but hot damn this was a lot of work. This is a general sampling from jobs I’ve done in the last year. Watching this for me is just a rush of memories.

 

While for the most part I only selected things that could fit in smoothly, there is one spot where the music stops and there’s a little segment of two icons talking. Though it breaks the flow, I really wanted to include that because that job took just over 250 hours on its own. All the speaking bits were animated with facial motion tracking and tons of key frames. For doing the motion tracking, I ended up over at my parents house at 10pm lip syncing the commercial several times in front of a camera. Even just getting that job, I had found a neat AE expression for attaching puppet pins to nulls about half an hour before I got word of it. When my intermediary client came through the door, and asked if I could make animated talking icons, I had just thing I wanted to try! That job also had about a million rounds of changes and change backs.

For me, most of the brief clips in that video have stories, ideas, trials, and solutions attached to them. Some funny, some arduous, some otherwise. This is the first time that I’ve cut together an actual reel, (I’ve made just graphic demos for clients in the past) and it’s certainly strange to see a year summed up into just over three minutes.

Toilet Playtime

Tea-Smoke

Sometimes it’s good to switch things up a little. So today I wanted to see what I could shoot on the back of the toilet. So here is todays toilet toilet play time.

Bathroom Gaurdian

This fellow has been living on the back of the toilet longer than I’ve lived here. After so long, it only seems natural that it would be here to introduce it’s tank.

Tea-Bags

Everything was shot all in one spot, most everything involved is a vase of water, some tea bags, and some chia seeds. And this is the result.

Chia-Seeds

Camera, Tripod, Intervalometer, and lit with the bathroom heat lamp. Post was in Bridge, After Effects, and Photoshop.
Nothing like making the most of a little!

The End of an Infographic

This is from a project that I was working on a couple weeks ago that got canned ¬†midway through. Although the actual project will never see the light of day, I’m still fond of the icons that I build for it and want them to at least get a flashlight on them. If I find enough time, I may even finish it on my own time.

I was instructed to make a DRTV info graphic. I was given a little quick breakdown of how the market worked, then I was set free to more or less do as I pleased with it.

DRTV Model Icons-01-01

These were the core icons that I came up with. The colors used are the company’s logo color. Making icons and small simple illustrations is one of my favorite things to do. In part because I find it immensely enjoyable to add in details that no one will ever catch.

Said Details
Said Details

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 4.42.09 PM

Even just the process of building and working through to figure out which solution will work the best is enjoyable. One of my favorite things with the projects, is after it’s complete, go back and look at all the things that didn’t work.

Such as other patterns that were getting worked up for the globes
Such as other patterns that were getting worked up for the globes

Unfortunately this project didn’t make it to much further that this stage. I had only started laying out the graphic for a rough proof of concept when I got the call that that project wasn’t going to go through to completion till there was more purpose for it. Here’s the little bit that I did on the layout before moving onto the next thing. ¬†Click through to view the full size.

Unfinished Graphic-03